Thursday, September 17, 2009

peanut butter wonderfulness

I really love cookies. I don't really think I have that much of a sweet tooth, but I do absolutely love baked goods of all kinds, and cookies are my favorite. I love making them, eating them, reading cookie recipes, etc. This week I made some absolutely wonderful peanut butter cookies. Although none of the ingredients came in our CSA box, I did purchase the jumbo free-range, hand-gathered eggs that I used from Blue Hill Farm at the North Asheville Tailgate Market. I love the eggs from Blue Hill Farm, but you have to get to the market early to get them - trust me, it's worth it to get up early on Saturday to get these eggs!


I also used whole wheat flour in these cookies, as well as chunky natural peanut butter. Most peanut butter cookie recipes call for smooth peanut butter, but I personally like the crunchy texture you get from using crunchy peanut butter. I made these cookies late at night - I apologize for the poor lighting in my photographs!

peanut butter cookies

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Preheat the oven to 375. Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar, butter, and peanut butter until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until well-blended. Gradually add the flour mixture at low speed until mixed. Chill for about 30 minutes. Drop rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet and flatten with the tines of a fork that have been dipped in sugar. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.

Peanut butter vanilla ice cream sandwiches anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment