Wednesday, April 14, 2010

busy

I have been really, really, really busy. We've had family in town, and work has been hectic, and every evening has been filled to the limit with crafting - getting ready for our first market weekend this Saturday. I'm thrilled that Mandy and I were accepted to sell our craft items at the Asheville City Market, but also overwhelmed that the first market date is this Saturday and I have hours and hours of work to do.


I've been so busy that I missed the weeping cherries in bloom on Blue Ridge Avenue. They must have been in bloom for all of 12 hours, because I'm on that street nearly every day - somehow I missed them. I nearly missed my lilac blooming, but caught sight of it tonight when I let the dogs out after work. I made dinner with the kitchen window open, the scent of lilac and spring grass floating into the kitchen.

I made quite possibly the best dinner I've ever made tonight. I don't know why I've never tried it until now, but tonight we had gnocchi with cherry tomatoes, zucchini, fresh basil, lemon, and butter. It was so delicious. I shouldn't have taken the time to make it, but it was so perfect, so lovely. This summer, I plan on making lots and lots of variations of that dish - gnocchi with asparagus, peas, lemon and tarragon; gnocchi with roasted vegetables; gnocchi with fresh tomato sauce.


After dinner, Dora and I walked the dogs. This was the first night I really noticed all the birds, a loud Mockingbird serenading us as we climbed the hill. I handed Dora a dandelion gone to seed, showed her how to blow on it just right to make the white fluffy seeds float all around us in a cloud. After bath, Dora laid on her bed and looked up at the red woodcut on her wall. "Mama, I see sheep!" she said. I told her that Grandma Carol made that. "For me?" she asked. I told her that Grandma Carol was my mommy. She said, "Carol is your friend?" "Yes" I said, "Carol is my friend". "Ooh, I like Carol" she said. My eyes welled up as I thought of us having our first conversation about my mom. I've told Dora about my mom before, but this is the first time we've actually talked about her. It was very, very sweet and very special.

I am so busy, I should have rushed through tonight - thrown together leftovers, skipped the walk, put off the bath for another night. But we had such a perfect little evening together - beautiful and fragrant and lovely and touching. I could have missed it, just like the weeping cherries. I am so, so glad I did not.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I love to read your blog and I check everyday for new things written and new recipes! It's been so long since we've seen each other. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Dora and it's been so long since you last saw Hunter. I feel as though your blog gives me a sneak peek into your lives and allows me to get to know you and your family better and I greatly appreciate that you share this with us. Having lost my mother as well I was touched by your conversation with Dora about your mother. Hunter and I have had those talks and I cherish those. I would love to have your gnocchi recipe when you get some time to send it to me. Thank you, Tara Riley

    ReplyDelete