Wednesday, April 6, 2011

wannabe

The author of one of the blogs I read regularly has had a book proposal accepted (her second). I read this yesterday and was reminded that I want to do that. I have ideas bouncing around for this in my head, but I never really find the time to hone them, or if I do I find that perhaps the ideas aren't as well-developed as I thought. It's something I really want to do, though, partly because I think I have something to say and partly because I've fallen into the trap of romanticizing the idea of being a writer. There. I said it. At least I'm being honest. 

So after I read this I came home thinking about the things I want to do, the kind of person I want to be - some things I'm already doing and some things I'm only dreaming about. In my mind it turned into something of a mini-photo essay, a words and pictures kind of mini-inventory of where I am, and where I want to go. Mini. As in, not including everything. Here goes. 

I want to be the kind of person who has a dining room table with flowers on it, free of clutter and bills and paperwork waiting to be sorted. I'm almost never this person unless it's a special occasion, or people are coming over for dinner. But it's spring and the lilacs are about to bloom, so it happened on a regular old Tuesday, meatloaf night. 


I want to be the kind of person who brings their kids into the kitchen and helps them fall in love with food and cooking at an early age. Sometimes I am. 


 I want to be the kind of person who makes meals from scratch. I almost always do that. 


I want to be the kind of person who knows how to use a new piece of photography equipment on the first try. I'm not. My first roll of film shot through the Diana is almost all underexposed.


I want to be patient. I'm not always, but every once in a while I am. 


I want to be the kind of person who writes a successful book proposal, who writes in her blog about the new book that's going to be coming out soon, with her name on the cover.

I'm not. Yet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love your blog! Can I say that again? LOVE. If I knew you in "real life"... we'd surely be friends. :)

    Your writing is wonderful. I think you will be published. Yes.

    I, too, dream of writing a book. I think it's time to pursue that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trisha! So sweet of you. Thanks so much for reading and for commenting. Pursue the dream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the mini photo log of your dreams; while I have no desire to write a book, I want a dining room table that is free of clutter and to actually eat dinner there. I also want the kid in the kitchen to help cook our from scratch meals.

    Good luck on the book; I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete